Sunday, June 26, 2016

Shifting Perspectives: Life After Losing 200 Pounds

I began this blog back in 2011, and haven't touched it much since. At the time I dedicated it to creating things, mainly baked goods. I began the year with aspirations of baking a different cookie every week, and featuring it on the blog. While blog posts about baked goods are always tempting - and often appreciated by the internet at large - it was a dangerous project for me.

Why was it so dangerous, you may ask?

At the time I began this blog, I weighed over 300 lbs. Truth be told, I was pushing closer to 400, weighing in at a known peak of 366 pounds in 2009-2010. It very well may have been more than that, but the shame I felt being that morbidly obese generally kept me far from the scale.

When I started this blog, I was literally eating myself to death.

Christmas Baking in 2010. An obnoxious stained glass cookie.

Me at or about my peak weight in October 2009

Over the past 7 or so years, I have drastically changed my life in all aspects. I began a long journey striving for wellness, discovering what works for me amidst conflicting messages and dietary advice of the western world. I found myself by going against the grain. And I developed an amazing support system in the process. For this, I am so happy and eternally grateful.

And in the process, I happened to lose 200 pounds.

Me in May 2016

Considering this drastic change, I thought it fitting to continue with the blog I began primarily to record baking escapades. I have had a number of people in real life ask me how I lost the weight, for tips and tricks, and even for advice. This is a place for me to be real and raw, a proper platform (versus Facebook or some other social media).

It has been a journey of many years, and I have a long story to tell. This is my renaissance post. I plan on a series of posts that will address specific questions to tell my story. If you have any questions of your own, please feel free to comment and I will try to answer them along the way.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope you stick around!


1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome blog about your incredible journey- thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete