Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week 2: Frosted Lime Wafers


I think I've officially decided that January is the month of fruit cookies. I know that I said last week that I was doing a repeat cookie this week, but I did not blog about it yet. I will be blogging about it not as part of my year of cookies, but as a special project cookie. So my mid-week cookie for my Aunt's birthday party were Cinnamon Snail Cookies. They turned out great, and I will post about them shortly.

As for the Lime Wafers, these turned out pretty well. The recipe called for the dough to be scooped by rounded teaspoon, so I was not able to use my cookie scoop, as it is too big clocking in at over a tablespoon. At first I decided to use a melon scoop, but that was not so good; so I decided just to use the measuring teaspoon to spoon it out. The lime wafers are a nice butter cookie with a hint of lime, and the frosting glaze also has a nice lime flavor; green food coloring added to the ambiance, if you will. I am pretty sure that I would make these again, as response to them has been very positive so far. I have decided to order a smaller cookie scoop for things like these, as I am finding that more and more drop cookie recipes are calling for teaspoon-sized cookies. Norpro makes a 25 mm diameter cookie scoop that holds a little over a teaspoon, and Amazon has it for a great price. You can find it here.

I should also note that the recipe claims to yield 50 cookies, but I managed to yield 80. So they were pretty small, but perfect for popping in your mouth (and more for your buck)!

So, on to the recipe! The recipe for Frosted Lime Wafers that I used can be found in "The Cookie Book: The Only Cookie Book You Will Ever Need" by Janine Flew, Fog City Press (San Francisco), 2001

Frosted Lime Wafers
Type of Cookie: Drop
Makes approximately 50 cookies

Wafers:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime zest
1/3 cup lime juice
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1-2 tablespoons lime juice
few drops green food coloring (optional)

1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F.

2. For wafers, in a mixing bowl beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking soda, and lim zest; beat until combined. Beat in the lime juice. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.

3. Drop rounded teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown. Remove the wafers with a spatula and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

4. Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small mixing bowl beat together the confectioners' sugar, softened butter or margarine, and enough lime juice to make a mixture of glazing consistency. If desires, stir in food coloring. Dip the tops of the wafers in the glaze. Place wafers, glazed side up, on wire racks and allow the glaze to set before serving.

Well, that concludes this week's cookie. Stay tuned for next week, and reviews from the cookies past; there will also be 3 cakes made and decorated in the next week, so stay tuned for them!

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment